Monday 8 June 2009

A big decision

Several weeks ago I was at work and my husband called me. He said that he had been listening to Radio4 and heard a lady on there who was a Hypnotherapist. She did hypnotherapy for lots of things, but had enjoyed a large amount of success with people wanting to lose weight.

I have not always been large, but I find myself at the age of 53 being the largest I have ever been in my life. I have been on a diet since the age of 32 and all that has ever happened with each diet is that I have gotten larger and larger.

Sure I joke about it . . . make light of it . . . but the truth is I hate looking and feeling the way that I do. I have a hard time reaching down to pick anything up from the floor and my husband has to help me put my socks on in the morning and tie my shoes. I hate that too. I hate looking in the mirror and seeing this woman I don't know and the scared woman inside my eyes. I know that this weight is slowly killing me, stealing my life from me little by little and that one day it will ultimately take it away from me altogether . . . unless I do something about it. I feel out of control and desperate. I hate what I have become.

I called the clinic that very day. Margaret and I talked on the telephone for about an hour that day and agreed to meet up the next Tuesday. I was thrilled. I felt like finally, for the first time in many years, here was something and someone that might be able to help me to do what I had been failing at for so many years. I felt like a life line had been thrown my way.

I went to her clinic the next Tuesday a little nervous, a little excited, a little afraid. I didn't really know what to expect. The sum of all I knew about hypnosis was what I'd seen on stage. Tricksters making people wander around clucking like chickens and such. I didn't want to end up hating food. I work with food. It is my life. I really want to lose the weight though, so despite my fears and trepidation I go anyways and am pleasantly surprised.

I think I can do this. I know I can do this. This is me getting a handle on the rest of my life and hopefully going down . . . down . . . down, and staying there.

1 comment:

  1. I have been considering hypnosis myself...but my husband says it is the work of the devil and does not want to hear anymore of it. I believe in it and I commend you for going. I like your blog and your honesty. It is discouraging when you are overweight, as you and I are...and we know the success rate is low. But we must really try to improve our health and our time on earth. My doctor told me this winter my life will be shortened by 10 years if I do not lose weight.

    Winnie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. Please be kind and constructive.