Sunday 29 November 2009

There's no rest for the wicked!!

I have had a very busy few weeks. It's always like this for me in the run up to Christmas. Because I work for an American family the month of November is crazy, crazy, crazy. Family is coming and going, along with friends . . . there is the big Thanksgiving Feast to prepare and the family is busy getting ready to fly to America for their Christmas celebrations over there. To top it off the housekeeper has been off sick with swine flu for several weeks so I have been wearing two hats, both as the cook and as best as I can with the housekeepers job.

On Thanksgiving day alone I cooked a dinner for a ginormous amount of people . . . three appetizers (smoked salmon roulades, olive poppers, hot pepper cheese balls) a soup course (curried pumpkin soup with my mother's baking powder biscuits) the main course (Two roasted turkeys, cornbread stuffing, green beans with crimini mushrooms and shallots) oven braised parsnips and carrots with rosemary, wild rice and cranberry pilaff, Sweet potato souffle, Bing Cherry Salad, Gingered Cranberry Relish) and three desserts ( Pecan Pie, Gingered Pear crumble and a spiced pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting and toasted pecan garnish) Whew! I got tired just writing all of that! I don't know how they managed to eat it all, really. I got through the whole day with a bowl of cereal, a bowl of soup and a roll. I was far too busy to eat anything else. Funny thing is when I am busy at work and cooking . . . I have no interest in eating at all.

Upshot of being so busy is . . . one - I haven't been keeping up my food diary like I should. I have kept a running tab in my head but I just haven't gotten around to putting it down on paper, which I don't really like. I like seeing it in black and white. two - I am down another 3 pounds since the last time I posted, which is good, and which shows me I am still on track despite not being able to write things down and not being able to fit in any exercise. Of course the weather has been horrible so there's been no walking and the nights are getting dark really early as well . . . so by the time I get home from work, it's really too dark to walk.

I need to do something about that. I am sure the weight loss would accelerate if I got in more.

Nice thing today . . . everyone at church was telling me how wonderful I am looking and how thin. Well, I know I dont' really look thin, but I guess compared to what I was a few months ago, it is a big difference. I feel really good about things.

One thing I have noticed . . . I will say to myself and even go so far as to pick up a piece of chocolate and then I think . . . why bother, it doesn't even taste good and so I don't eat it. And that's the truth. It doesn't taste good, at least not like it used to.

So that's my update for now. Be back soon with more news from the Incredible Shrinking Woman <==== That's me!!! yeee hawww!!! (feels good!)

4 comments:

  1. Well done you!!!!!!! I bet you are starting to look slim. You must be. When I saw you a few weeks ago you were getting that way so with a few weeks gone by.............

    The world is your lobster so go, girl, go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Marie, I am so so happy that you are still going down down down....I was half afraid to ask !!I don't know about you not being able to exercise but I think that all that running around you did over the Thansgiving week up at the house was exercise enough !! I would have been a nervous wreck myself by the end of the week !!!
    Love Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie I am so proud of you. I wish I was doing better right now. But I am never giving up. Never, never!

    I cannot believe you did all that cooking alone! You never cease to amaze!

    I hope you sold some more of your cards. If I was going to even be here I would order some. I would like to get some next year if you have any left by then. I do a blogging Christmas card so I don't send out traditional ones anymore. I think they would make a cute collage though..under glass and hanging on the wall. Count me in for next year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. Please be kind and constructive.