Saturday 2 January 2010

Post Holidays




Well, here I am . . .

One Staff Christmas Party
One Italian Lunch with a friend
One Church Christmas Party
One Christmas Lunch
One Boxing Day Lunch
One New Years Eve Feast
One New Years Day Dinner
A few Christmas goodies, and chocolates and nibbles
and all the goodies in between
later . . .

and I managed to get through it all without putting on an ounce. I ate exactly what I wanted to eat. I did not feel deprived. I enjoyed every mouthful, and it was all delicious. I even induldged myself in a few chocolate treats, which were very good I must say.

but with only eating when I was hungry, and only eating until I was satisfied, I managed to get through it all intact!

This has been life saving to me and getting through this holiday season as well as I have done has shown me that I can live like this for the rest of my life, without fear that one day I will wake up and have been sprinkled by the fat fairy who will have undone all the good done by Margaret and the Happy Weight Program!!!! That is a real biggie. Like anyone who has had a measure of success with the program, and who has gone through a lifetime of dieting and dieting failure . . . the fear of it stopping working all of a sudden is a really big fear to face, and to work your way through. Every other time I have failed, failed, failed.

Today I feel successful, and that's just wonderful. I feel in control. I feel happy and I feel satisfied. I also feel very, very grateful.

A year ago, I was three stone heavier, and resigned to the probability that I would spend the rest of my life looking fat, feeling weighed down by it all, feeling sick and tired, and wanting to hide from the world. The inevitable fat lady smiling on the outside, whilst her heart is breaking on the inside. Eating in secret so that nobody would look at me and say, how disgusting . . . look at that fat lady stuffing her face. (my mother's voice echo's here) I thought I would die young, fat and unhealthy. This new year sits before me with promise! I have conquered my fat demons and I feel better and healthier than I have in a very long time.

I know I can continue on and get to the place I want to be weight wise, and that I will be able to stay there. I no longer feel like a failure. Today I feel like a winner and that's a very good thing.

Here's to 2010 and the ongoing adventure that awaits me on my journey as the incredible shrinking woman!!

10 comments:

  1. You are a STAR! You really have cracked it and we are so, so proud of you. Everyone who knows you, even if they haven't actually met you, would love you fat or thin but you do so much for the rest of us it was high time you did something to benefit you. Myself, though I have tried not to pig out, I fear I may have done a little damage but it's not my day to weigh til next Thursday so I'm not sure. I'm 'on the wagon' again now though and think I have it under control.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, here are ***** stars for you...you sure deserve them every one of them...
    Congradulations...They say that envy is a sin so I had better not be envious....but maybe I can be just a wee teeny weeny bit?

    Love Always Sybil xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really proud of you, Marie! I have to tell you, when I am getting ready to eat, I think of you and think....'Is this one meatball enough...do I really want more?' It does help me to be more aware of what I'm eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awesome, Marie. Congratulations!

    You inspired me to start reading the book and I was doing great until the wedding I went to this afternoon, where I just blew it. And the worst of it is that I didn't even enjoy half of what I put on my plate and I ate it anyway. Boo for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. way to go, marie! wish i had your will power.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You continue to inspire me, Marie. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marie, I am a longtime fan of your recipe blog but have never commented. Now I have discovered this new weight loss blog of yours, and am so inspired. At 300 pounds, I have about 170 pounds to lose. Was never fat as a young woman but years of sedentary living and sweets have gradually taken their toll. Have tried regular dieting many times but get so weary of the tedious calorie counting and restriction of favorite foods that I inevitably fall off the wagon. As I read through the "Golden Rules" of your approach, I am thinking... this is exactly the approach I need to take. So I just wanted to ask your advice... since I am in the states, is there a book I should buy, or does it basically just come down to those simple rules? Any advice would be so very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Becca. I am not sure if the Happy Weight program runs in the States. There is a link on her site http://www.happyweight.com/ where you can purchase the program for homestudy, or you can also get a book by Paul McKenna which is called, I Can Make You Thin, which also comes with an audio disc to listen to. You can buy that on Amazon.com. I have found listening to a self hypnosis cd every morning helps me greatly. The therapy itself has probably been one of the greatest helps though. Being able to speak to Margaret and work out things has been a real life saver to me. I am sure there are credited hypno therapists in your area. There are no calorie counting or stupid rules with this program. It was not cheap, but it was worth every penny. Six months later and I am still losing and can honestly say I can live with this for life. Let me know how you get on. If you would like to e-mail me, you can do so on MarieAliceJoan at aol dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the information, Marie. I love the idea of not counting calories. That is the thing that always causes me to stop dieting-- I get so tired of the tedious calorie counting and feeling like a child doing homework. Eating slowly and eating without distractions may take some getting used to, but they sound like good habits to develop anyway. I will go look for the book right now and let you know how I do. I am 55 years old-- hopefully not too old to learn some new habits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am back on my fitness blog writing again. I think I have done four posts this week. I took it off private too so it makes it easier to know when I have written something. Thanks for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. Please be kind and constructive.