Saturday 6 February 2010

No Such Thing as Failure

One thing I have learnt through reading and (occasionally) contributing to this blog is that it's much easier to achieve SOMETHING - maybe not a lot - but some small success if I don't set any expectations or goals for myself.

Being in a wheelchair I can't rely on walking and work-outs to help me along, though I'm sure they would.  What I eat and, more importantly, when I eat it really matters to me. 

I have learnt not to mind too much if the scales stay the same for ages.  If I don't lose any weight for weeks I know there could be 3 reasons.  The first would be if I forgot the golden rule about eating only when I'm hungry.  The second would be eating beyond being pleasantly satisfied.  The third would be that I am where I am meant to be for now.  The only time I really do a double-take is if the scales go UP. 

I stressed about my weight for years and yo-yo dieted all my life and all because I was always trying to fit into a pattern dictated by other people.  Now I do it only for me and I'm not in competition with anyone.   Now, though I know I ought to weigh less, I am OK with me.  Now I understand that we only fail in the eyes of others.

Therefore there is no such thing as failure.

2 comments:

  1. Very insightful Angie! I agree with everything you said. I believe that failure only really comes when we choose to give up. You are an inspiration to me my dear friend. You truly are. xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. Please be kind and constructive.