Monday 3 August 2009

And so it goes . . .

I've had a pretty busy couple of weeks. I was away on holidays for two weeks, and then getting back into the swing of things at work. I'm happy to say that I managed to survive my holidays and not gain any weight during them. I had a lovely time. I ate exactly what I wanted to, I even had pudding most nights and an Ice cream cone. I did do a lot of walking and I expect that the exercise didn't hurt at all.

I have noticed a few things.

One, the foods that I used to really look forward to eating . . . things like chips, and chocolate, fried chicken, etc. They don't appeal to me anymore at all. I had schnitzel whilst we were on holidays and it came with big plates of chips. I had a few of the chips and half of the schnitzel and the salad and I was happy and content. One day, the day before we left for our holidays, we had some KFC. It was bloomin awful! I couldn't eat it. I had to pick off all the coating and then could only eat the meat. The coating was always my favourite part, but now it just tastes horrible. One night I asked my husband if he would pick me up a cadbury's blizzard thingie at McDonalds . . . he did. I had two mouthful's and it felt like the entire insides of my mouth had been coated with lard. It was bloomin awful as well! Not sure what's going on, but I like it!

Two, that if I continue to eat after I have realized I've had enough, I don't feel good at all. I actually begin to feel a bit ill, and very uncomfortable. We were out to dinner at the home of some friend's last evening. They served the plates already dished up. I don't like it really when people do that. I would prefer to serve myself . . . that way I can take just what I want or think I can eat. I ended up having to leave 2/3 of it on my plate as I just could not finish it. I really enjoyed the first bits of it, but then I started to feel full and was only eating to be polite. It didn't feel good at all. I felt almost ill. I had to excuse myself and apologize to our hosts, saying that I was full and couldn't eat any more.

I weighed myself this morning and I am down another 4 pounds. So that is one stone and 4 pounds. I feel really good about that. I am doing very well I think, very well indeed.

Oh sure, I am a bit afraid. What if it suddenly stops working? What if I suddenly want to go out and gorge myself on a pizza or something? Will that be the slippery slope that leads to my demise?

I am so used to failing at diets that I am a bit afraid that this might fail too. I have to be honest about my feelings though, and I have to acknowledge my fears. I just keep moving forward and doing the things I need to do. I keep telling myself, this is not a diet. This is a life changing plan that I can live with for the rest of my life, that I must live with for the rest of my life.

Can I live with being able to eat whatever I want, as long as I only eat when I am hungry and only eat until I am satisfied? I think so! This is very liveable. No bad foods, only bad habits.

I do find that my tastes are changing though, and for the better. I now crave fruits and vegetables . . . not crisps and chocolate. It is a fabulous change and I feel really good about it. I really do.

1 comment:

  1. Minerva, you could have been reading my mail! I too have tried all the usual diets and slimming clubs and now I've started with something else completely. It sounds a lot like yours actually only I don't go to a private hypnotherapist. That may happen later.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. Please be kind and constructive.