Tuesday 25 August 2009

An Epiphany


I had somewhat of an epiphany today. I had my session with Margaret and I expressed to her something that I have been feeling this past week or so. I have been doing really well. I am holding to the rules and I am losing weight, and it's been absolutely painless. I haven't missed anything and I don't feel deprived at all. It's pretty amazing, but still . . . inside I have held on to this little niggling fear that all of a sudden this might stop working, and that I will wake up one morning and the whole plan will be out the window and that all of a sudden I will want to be eating and eating and eating and that will be it . . . I'll be back to my former ways and gain back all the weight that I have lost. (23 pounds to this point folks, yes 23 Pounds!!!) I suppose realistically that is a fear that anyone would have at one point. How many diets have I been on in my lifetime, and how many diets have I gone off of in my lifetime and felt a total failure at. Well, they come to the same amount and totally are in my face every time I look in the mirror . . . I have had a bit of an afraid of failure mentality these past few weeks and today I stared it in the face. I came to realize that ( and here is the biggie, the ephiphany as it were) if I can't trust myself, then how can anybody trust me. I have to have faith in my self if I can ever expect anyone else to. And yes, perhaps I will have a bad day once in a while, but that is not the end of the world, or the end of my success, it's not even a failure . . . it just means that I chalk it up to having been a bad day and I put it behind me and I continue to move forward. I don't have to be perfect. A blip in the road, doesn't mean the end of the road. It doesn't matter if the road I take to my goal is totally straight (which road in life is ever totally straight?) it only matters that I keep heading in the right direction. I did not get fat overnight, and I will not be thin overnight. It doesn't matter if it takes 1 year, or 2 years or even longer than that to reach my goal. It only matters that I keep heading towards it. After all, life is an amazing journey. This is only a part of it. Success is in the perception and from where I'm standing, any step towards freedom from the chains of food obsession is a step in the right direction, whether it be a baby step, or a giant step . . . just keep moving forward, no matter what, and I'll get there in the end. ☺☺☺☺☺ (Yes, I'm smiling!) I will continue to celebrate my progress and accept it for exactly what it is. Hot damn! I'm a winner!

1 comment:

  1. YOU ARE A WINNER!!!! You are wonderful and I'm not just saying that, you have dne so well - and will continue to or I want to knw the reason why!

    I think we must all be subject to these anxieties because I have felt the same way. You know: "Why should this work when nothing ese did, even things that cost me a small fortune?" We went to a wedding this weekend and I was sitting next to the thinnest girl you ever saw. What were my first thoughts? She looks and dresses tarty. She must have an eating disorder, Do you know what? I was jealous! When I gave it some thought, that's what I was - jealous. I did't like her clothes or the fact that her legs went up to her arnpits and she wasn't ashamed to show them. But despite myself I couldn't help liking her, she was lovely to talk to. She even said, ruefully, "This skirt's not right for a wedding is it?"

    And, my word did she love her food - BUT she kept putting her fork down and chatting, so I did too. That's the first time I've really bothered noticing how a thin person eats.

    Today I'm wearing a pair of trousers that I last wore comfortably in 2004 - yes they're that old and they're among the newest! It feels so good.

    If I had stayed with the slimming club I definitely would have given up by now from sheer boredom and feeling hard-done-by. This way I am deprived of nothing - I just dont want the things I used to.

    You're a star, no doubt about that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. Please be kind and constructive.